1 Head of Napa cabbage
1 Daikon radish, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 Carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
4 Green onions, cut into 1″ pieces
1/4 Cup Rock salt (it must be free of iodine, as it can inhibit fermentation)
4 Cups Filtered water (chlorinated water will also inhibit fermentation)
3 Fresh garlic cloves
1 Tsp Fresh ginger, grated
3 Tbsp Red chili pepper flakes
- Place the cabbage and salt into a bowl and massage until cabbage starts to soften. Cover with water. Put another bowl or a plate on top of cabbage with something heavy on top to weigh it down. Let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse cabbage under cold water at least 3 times and let drain in a colander for 20 minutes.
- Using a Nutri Bullet type processor, blend garlic, ginger, salt and chili flakes into a paste. The more chili you add the spicier your kimchi will be.
- Gently squeeze any excess water out of cabbage. Mix cabbage, daikon, green onions, carrots and paste and “massage” together thoroughly. (Tip: you may want to wear gloves.)
- Pack kimchi into a sanitized quart jar, pressing down until; brine covers vegetables. Leave 1 inch headspace. Seal with lid lightly.
- Ferment in a warm dark spot where the vegan kimchi won’t be disturbed 1 – 5 days, Checking on kimchi everyday, tasting and pressing kimchi down below liquid.